I have a form on a page that posts directly to j_security_check:

http://www.site.com/index.htm
    <form method="post" action="https://secure.site.com/j_security_check";>
        <input type="text" name="j_username" />
        <input type="password" name="j_password" />
    </form>

When the POST request is received by secure.site.com, it kicks back a 408
response code and this message:
"The time allowed for the login process has been exceeded. If you wish to
continue you must either click back twice and re-click the link you
requested or close and re-open your browser"

Now I know it's choking because no session has been established.  But why
doesn't j_security_check authenticate first and then attempt to set
session/cookies?  Does anyone have a FORM based login workaround for this?

Second question, what source module implements j_security_check?