> From: Sean Carnes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> *We are having an issue with the tomcat service crashing
> version 4.1.31,
> sometimes with these memory errors and sometimes not.  We
> have a backup but
> once the load moves to that server the backup crashes also almost
> immediately after the load balancer switches.  This has
> happened multiple
> times to us over the past few days with no changes made to
> the server, just a slight increase in load.

Looks like that slight increase in load has tipped you over from being
just-about-alright to just-about-failing.  If you can't increase heap space,
can't decrease load and can't alter the application, your only remaining choice
is to add capacity: install another server and load-balance across N+1 servers
rather than N servers.  Also remember that if you have plenty of spare RAM on
the machines hosting Tomcat, and it's just maximum heap size that's the issue,
then you might be able to run two Tomcat processes (on different ports) on the
same server, avoiding the need to deploy new hardware.

                - Peter