I am putting together RPMs for apache and tomcat and I want to include the mod_jk connector with the apache RPM but I get an error that apxs cannot be found even though I give the full path to apxs.

The commands that I do are

(in apache)
./configure --enable-ssl=shared --enable-so --with-ldap --enable-ldap --enable-auth-ldap
make
make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/httpd-2.0.55-1-root install

(in jakarta-tomcat-connectors-1.2.15-src/jk/native)
./configure --with-apxs=/var/tmp/httpd-2.0.55-1-root/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs

The configure fails with:
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
could not find /var/tmp/httpd-2.0.55-1-root/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
configure: error: You must specify a valid --with-apxs path

Note that since I'm building for purposes of packaging, I'm not installing apache in its intended location but in a temporary location. This is obviously the problem since if I do actually install apache, the connector configure script works fine. Thing is, I don't want to have install apache just to build the connector. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,
Dan.