Hello!

> Karsten,
>
> You didn't mention if you were running Tomcat as a service.
> I'll assume you are.

Yes.

[snip]

> Just for grins, have you tried using the identical DLL to run
> this console program?

Yes - they are in different directories but are otherwise identical (size,
data, SHA-1 checksum).  The DLL doesn't get registered, only loaded.

> Usually when folks have problems and weird issues running
> Tomcat on Windows like this is because they are using Tomcat
> as a Windows Service and aren't sensitive to the differences
> in privilege for their console user (usually "Karsten" or
> whatever) and the Tomcat service user ("Tomcat"? "System"...
> not sure what the default is).
>
> You might want to look into the permissions of the effective
> user that Tomcat uses when running as a service.

Thanks for the hint - I checked this.  The Windows service ran as "Local
System" which I guess is an admin account.  I changed it to my own admin
user account but that didn't help.  I have a third Java program, run as a
Windows service, with that same (default, I guess) "Local System" account,
which can use the DLL and the DCOM communication within it just fine.  Next
I used the ZIPped version of Tomcat, set it all up and started it explicitly
from a command line with admin rights, but that gave me the same results.
Unfortunately, since we use some JSP 2.1 features, I can't try this with
Tomcat 5.x.

I tried this both on XP and Vista, and the results were the same.

Does anybody else have an idea why DCOM fails under Tomcat 6?

> - -chris

Karsten