I've also found the TcpDump tool available from Microsoft's website extremely helpful in looking at this stuff. I would say it should be safe to stop the instance of java.exe holding on to 8005, but you should try to be sure it's not used for anything. Various third party software companies have been known to leverage tomcat in their own products.

--David

Ljuba Veselinova wrote:

I found info about netstat in the windows help files. I apologize for
this simple question. I'm looking at the results produced by netstat
and tasklist right now.

It looks like java is listening to port 8005; there appear to be two
instances of java.exe running and each one of them is listening to
several ports. I need java to run though. Is it safe to end the
instance of java.exe listening to port 8005?

Ljuba

On Dec 14, 2007 2:03 PM, Markus Schönhaber