My environment is slightly different (Windows XP Professional with NTFS file system, Tomcat 5.5.25), and the steps I used to deploy are a little different.

The steps which I took to test my theory before posting:
- shutdown Tomcat
- remove all traces of my application
- copy drop root.war into webapps
- restart Tomcat

The war is exploded into a directory named root - lowercase, and is only accessible under the http://host/root URL.

The joys of Windoze?

--
Stephen

Martin Gainty wrote:
I was curious what happened if I followed stephen's advice

environment: TC 5.5.17

undeploy 'root'OK - Undeployed application at context path/root

%CATALINA_HOME%\webapps>del ROOT
%CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\ROOT\*, Are you sure (Y/N)? yes
(now the environment is clean)

tc-manager http://host:8080/manager/ deploy (lowercase) root.war
see attached root-war.jpg

then produce tc-manager listing
see attached root_listing.jpg

when I access http://host:8080/root/

I see the tomcat index.jsp main page
If you're seeing this page via a web browser, it means you've setup Tomcat
successfully. Congratulations!

command line

%CATALINA_HOME%\webapps>dir ROOT
 Volume in drive F is DRV4_VOL1
 Volume Serial Number is F8AC-7975

 Directory of %CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\ROOT

12/17/2007  02:55p      <DIR>          .
12/17/2007  02:55p      <DIR>          ..
12/17/2007  02:55p      <DIR>          WEB-INF

so when I deployed lowercase root.war TC deployed as
uppercase ROOT!

how do account for that?
Martin--

 Message -----