Cuco,

Following Abel's hints would help you with the $JAVA_HOME issue.

Export is also a good option but it works only for that particular terminal in
which you export.

Whenever you open a new terminal, you would need to export again.

>>> cuco2772 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/21/07 3:40 AM >>>

Mary,

When I did something similar to this PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin;$PATH, editing my
my .bashrc file for my root account and my username account (ubuntu feisty)
the bash shell couldn't find basic
programs such as ls or vim. The only thing that saved this from being a real
nightmare was that I had
multiple terminal windows open as root and was able to edit those back to
having PATH come before
$JAVA_HOME. I'm still having basic setup problems with when I try to access
my localhost:8080/HelloServlet tomcat doesnt find it even though tomcat is
up and running.
I've been looking at tomcat configuration but am wondering now if I need to
mod-jk installed, by the way.
I was wondering if trying resetting the PATH using export, would be a good
idea, without putting it in
my .bashrc files.  I was also thinking of editing my /etc/environment and
putting my classpath for Java
in there. It's very time consuming to guess about these things, though. I
wish there was a way to get
better info. I'm willing to try just about anything now, I've spent a lot of
time on this already.
Any ideas on what I could try ? Thanks