I'm having problems trying to set up a DataSource in META-INF/context.xml

If I specify the <Resource> within a <Context> in server.xml it works fine.
Similarly, if I put it into conf/Catalina/localhost/myapp.xml it's fine, but
putting it in myapp/META-INF/context.xml does not work.

I also found that if I put completely invalid xml in
myapp/META-INF/context.xml, then Tomcat doesn't report this.

I've googled this issue, there seem to be quite a few occurrences of this
problem, but no specific solutions or recommendations.

I'm using Tomcat 5.5.17 and Java 1.5.0 on Windows 2000

myapp/META-INF/context.xml is:
<Context>
 <!-- Db connection -->
 <Resource
  name="jdbc/wdcc"
  auth="Container"
  factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
  type="javax.sql.DataSource"
  driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
  url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/wdcc1"
  username="jdbc"