In Tomcat 6.0.x you can do

<Connector
 port="8081"
 SSLEnabled="false"
 secure="true"
 scheme="https"
 ...>

In Tomcat 5.5.x you can write a Filter that creates a HttpServletRequestWrapper, that returns true on isSecure, and https on getScheme or you can take a look at org.apache.catalina.valves.SSLValve, which reads headers set by the server in front, most commonly apache httpd

Filip

Gregory Gerard wrote:
I've got an F5 load balancer running version 9.3 of the software.
I've got several Tomcat installations behind it.

The F5 does all SSL and clear traffic as a reverse proxy, rewriting headers as needed for cookies and whatnot.

I have one connector on 8080 for the clear traffic.

My problem: I tried to add another connector on 8081 setting secure to true so that the HttpServletRequest would say, yup, this is a secure connection and tell the 8080 connector 8081 is the secure address it should use when trying to upshift to higher security.

When I did this and started Tomcat up, it whined about not being able to open up my keystore.

I want all my SSL to offloaded and keep the keys out of each machine and centrally managed. I *just* want to get the servlets to believe the connection is secure. This is analogous to HTTPd doing the SSL offload with the mod_jk connector.

Also, the header X-Forwarded-For is set by the F5 and I'd like the Connector to also give out this IP instead of the load balancer's.

Any ideas short of recompiling Tomcat with a modified connector? Anyone else faced this problem?

thanks,
greg