On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 22:52 +1100, Jacob Rhoden wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> We are trying to introduce Java technology in our workplace (all the staff
> have been recently re-trained in Java). As far as I can tell, our System
> Administrators are really only resourced to be able to install standard
> Redhat packages.
>
> I initially thought we could install a clean vanilla tomcat, and then
> install mod_jk or mod_proxy_jk, however I am told by our System
> Administrators there are no packages for mod_jk, or mod_proxy_jk (I
> think they mean, that there are no packages that are supported by Redhat).

Hi Jacob,

Redhat provide packages for Tomcat and mod_jk. For Redhat Enterprise AS
4, these are in the "Application Server" channel, if I recall correctly.
(Either that, or "Extras").

They are provided by Redhat, and based on the Jpackage project.

http://www.jpackage.org/

If your admins use the Redhat packages (rather than Jpackage's
versions), they can log support tickets to Redhat - this is important
for many organisations (as opposed to getting support from this
excellent list).

Also, using Redhat's packages, tomcat and mod_jk packages can be updated
using "up2date", which makes it easier for the admins to apply security
updates.

Cheers, Ben