On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 20:36 +0000, Neha Agrawal wrote:
> hi
>    my tomcat5.5 server works correctly with APR
> as it showing default web pages for both 8180 and 8443
> ports..
>
> but when i try to open catalina.out file in the logs
> directory it hangs the terminal..file shows no data..
> when i did ls -al for this file  i got
>
> prwx------ 1 tomcat55 root 0 2008-01-18 12:23
> catalina.out
>
> couple of times opening this file showed crashed
> editio sessions of vi..so asked to recover , i
> recovered but its recovery terminal also crashed..
>
> also i changed group of this file to nogroup from
> root, deleting all .swp files and restarted the
> server..
> then again ls -al gave identical output as above..
> and again the file session crashed..
>
> in all the above tomcat server works correctly...
> what may be the problem?

Hi Neha,

The listing you supplied shows that "catalina.out" is not a regular file
(as it should be), but a "named pipe", a different, and most likely
inappropriate file type.

I suggest you stop tomcat, remove catalina.out, then restart tomcat.
When you do an "ls -la" of catalina.out after this, the permissions,
should then start with "-rwx", rather than "prwx". You should then be
able to view and edit the log file.

Cheers, Ben