Hello,
I have mod_jk version 1:1.2.18-3etch1 (which comes with Debian Etch) as
loadbalancer in front of four tomcats version 5.5.20-2etch2 that do not
duplicate sessions because of their size (100Mbyte per session; 120 -
500 users). My workers.property looks the following:

worker.list=router, jkstatus

worker.router.type=lb
worker.router.balance_workers=tomcat-01, tomcat-02, tomcat-03, tomcat-04

worker.tomcat-01.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat-01.host=tomcat-01
worker.tomcat-01.port=8009
worker.tomcat-01.lbfactor=1

worker.tomcat-02.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat-02.host=tomcat-02
worker.tomcat-02.port=8009
worker.tomcat-02.lbfactor=1

worker.tomcat-03.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat-03.host=tomcat-03
worker.tomcat-03.port=8009
worker.tomcat-03.lbfactor=1

worker.tomcat-04.type=ajp13
worker.tomcat-04.host=tomcat-04
worker.tomcat-04.port=8009
worker.tomcat-04.lbfactor=2

worker.jkstatus.type=status

I have to schedule once a week a software update, so I have to take a
tomcat server offline to upgrade the software. The problem is that I
don't want to kick any users. So I switch in jk_status the mode to
disabled. This works for most of the users. After their session times
out, they're gone. But I have a few sticky users, who leave their
browser open (and come back after 4 hours or a day) or bookmark a site
that contains a session id. Mod jk sees the session id and directs it to
the disabled tomcat. On the tomcat itself the session id is invalid, it
generates a new one and I have the user back on my disabled tomcat.
Duplicating the session to another tomcat is currently not possible
because a single session has around 100 Mbyte and even in off-hours like
right now, there are 100 active sessions.

How do other people handle this problem? Is there a way to make mod_jk
to check if the session is still active on the tomcat (maybe with a
newer version) and only puts a session to a disabled tomcat if indeed
the session is still active on that tomcat?

        Thomas