Thanks guys for all the replies.  I did get it to work  - by adding
logic to manually create/update a JSESSIONID cookie with the Domain
set to the parent domain (e.g., "company.com").    This logic could be
placed into a tomcat valve, or in some other place along the request
control flow.  Wanting to avoid too many dependencies to the servlet
container api, I chose to place the logic down in the webapp framework
(struts request processor in this case).

Regarding the DNS aspect of this...  Yes, that part was pretty
straight forward.  We added a wildcard into DNS (e.g., *.company.com)
to point to the server.  Tomcat runs as a single Host.  Then, we added
logic into the app itself (again, up in the requestprocessor /
interceptor) to parse out the subdomain and enforce various rules
accordingly.  This makes sense for our case, as the subdomains are
used to change the geographic region set into session and used to
query content into the pages.  So, it's always the same site
regardless of subdomain, just different content.

Again, thanks for the help.  I'll blog this later and send a note.  I
imagine others will want to do this same thing.