Hello Dave, in the future reply with more info and you will get better help. I
will put an example at the bottom. I'm an old-school JSP guy and not a JSF guy
but I understand that JSF files still end in (dot).jsp? If I'm right then the
rules should apply where a security constraint is defined. You will have to use
a <realm>. The Tomcat default install comes with an example that does this in
server.xml. Use a JAAS realm or a LDAP realm for FORM based security.

<security-constraint></security-constraint>

The path to your confidential pages need to be defined here.

The warning comes (especially I.E.) because you do not have a CA CERT for ssl.
You can generate your own CERT with the gentool. Again, the Tomat doco is your
starting point:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/ssl-howto.html

and

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/realm-howto.html#What%20is%20a%20Realm?

Performance: JSF is about 50 to 500 times slower than JSP. See:

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jsf.html

INFO:
OS: Debian 3.1, Window 2003 server
DB: Oracle 9i
Tomcat: 5.5.x
JDK/JRE: 1.6.x
VM: Xen and VMWARE
Topology: clustered TC with load balancer
Logging: Log4j, commons-logging, system logs (examples etc. for exceptions).

Dave wrote ..