Hello Dave, this is not exactly the answer you are looking for but I have been
concerned with public web security for a long time and I have finally resigned
myself to the fact that if you are using login pages that process user ids and
passwords and other confidential info that man-in-the-middle and any type of
network traffic sniffing is extremely dangerous. I run several Java apps
publicly and all are 100% https/SSL all the time. It is a performance hit but I
just up the hardware to match: multi-core Linux boxes with smp and 4+ gigs mem
and other virtualization tricks as afforded by XEN and even Tomcat itself
(6.0). Also please note: JBoss is very good at multi-instance web application
servers on multiple ports with only a single machine install. If you have very
serious Java web application concerns and full-time https encryption is
warrented then you might give the folks at: www.azulsystems.com a call. HTH,
David.

Dave wrote ..