Chuck is referring to the part of the HTTP request that specifies
which web page to fetch. If that piece is missing, it could cause the
problem you're seeing.

Examine your traffic log and find one of the problem requests. The
first line of the HTTP request (after the TCP/IP headers) should look
something like this:
    GET /index.html HTTP/1.1
If instead you see this:
    GET  HTTP/1.1
that's an invalid request.

It seems that this type of invalid request can cause Tomcat to choke.
It should return an HTTP error 400 to the client, indicating the
request is bogus.
--
Len