Hello tomcat users!

I have a problem using the connection pool in Tomcat. The function
getConnection() throws the following error message:

[Error message]
When trying to get a Connection an SQLExcpetion occurred:
java.sql.SQLException: Already closed.
       at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolableConnection.close(PoolableConnection.java:84)
       at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolingDataSource$PoolGuardConnectionWrapper.close(PoolingDataSource.java:181)
       at
org.metria.kiruna.profs.eniro.db.DatabaseController.getConnection(DatabaseController.java:136)

[DatabaseController.java]
   protected Connection getConnection(){
       try{
           Context initContext = new InitialContext();
           Context envContext  = (Context)initContext.lookup("java:comp/env");
           DataSource ods = (DataSource) envContext.lookup("jdbc/yyy");

           Connection conn = ods.getConnection();

           Connection dconn = ((DelegatingConnection)
conn).getInnermostDelegate();

           // if( conn != null && !conn.isClosed() ) // Line 135
               conn.close(); // Line 136

           return dconn;
       }catch( SQLException sqle ){
           System.err.println("When trying to get a Connection an
SQLExcpetion occured.");
           sqle.printStackTrace();
       }catch( NamingException ne ){
           System.err.println("When trying to get a Connection an
NamingException occured.");
           System.err.println(ne);
       }
       return null;
   }

[Context.xml]
<Resource accessToUnderlyingConnectionAllowed="true"
           auth="Container"
           driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
           maxActive="30"
           maxIdle="10"
           maxWait="1000"
           name="jdbc/yyy"
           username="xxx"
           password="xxx"
           type="javax.sql.DataSource"
           url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@drone:1521:top" />

If the outer connection is left open ( line 135, 136 is deleted) then
all connections are used until "maxActive" connections are created.

The program uses Tomcat 5.5.26 and Oracle 10.2.3.0.

Does anybody have an idea of why I can't close the outer connection so
that the connections can be returned to the pool when I am done?

/ Petter