I'm guessing you're running an older version of linux w/ a 2.4 or earlier kernel. In such systems the threads within a process show up as processes themselves. That changed in newer versions of the linux kernel which report one entry per process regardless of how many threads.

--David

Jonathan Mast wrote:
When I run "ps ax" on our Linux server, I'm seeing dozens of Tomcat
processes running.  Is this normal?
Shouldn't there be just 1 Tomcat process?

Occasionally, we have to restart Apache to kill all those processes, because
they are slowing the machine down.

thanks