Chuck,

thank you for your prompt feedback. I have a couple of follow-up
questions below:

>> 3) Deploy the JDBC jars and commons-dbcp.jar in the WAR in
>> WEB-INF/lib?>
>
>Yes.

Great, that's what'll do. But is there anything one must be careful
about
in this case? For example should a particular version of DBCP be used
for a
given version of Tomcat?

>> Question: if you cannot place the JDBC driver jars in
>> CATALINA_HOME/commons/lib, where can you put them?
>>
>> 1) Place the JDBC jars in $CATALINA_BASE/jdbc and modify the start-up

>> script to include these jars on the CLASSPATH?
>> 2) Deploy the JDBC jars in the WAR file (e.g. WEB-INF/lib/jdbc) and
>> modify the start-up script to include these jar on the CLASSPATH?
>
>NEVER, NEVER, NEVER set CLASSPATH for use with Tomcat.

Although I know this to be a bad idea; I've seen many post telling
users NOT to change the CP, however I want to be able to justify why
this shouldn't be done (convince ops folks). Do you know of any
documented discussion (the classpath how-to doesn't seem to address
this).

Thanks,

Florian

and its attachments from all computers.