Kevin,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
| I've tried following the directions from the tomcat dist and from the
| mysql dist but I always get can't connect exceptions when I start tomcat.

"Connection refused" usually means that everything is configured
properly on the Java/Tomcat side (except maybe the port number, though
yours is correct) and MySQL isn't picking up the phone for some reason.
David's reply regarding the networking options for MySQL is a good place
to start. Check your my.ini (or mysql.ini, or whatever it happens to be)
and make sure that the "skip-networking" option is not currently
enabled. I'm not sure how MySQL fares on win32 without networking, but
presumably the mysql client can connect via a named pipe rather than
using TCP/IP.

To see if MySQL is using networking (which is required by MySQL
Connector/J), try this:

C:\whatever> mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u javauser -p

This will force the command-line tool to use TCP/IP instead of other
means to connect to the server (note that "localhost" won't work, since
the tool is documented to use the named pipe if the string "localhost"
is used. Using the IP address will avoid this behavior). If the
connection fails, then you have disabled networking in MySQL and need to
enable it.

| I can connect to the database from the console using "C:> mysql -u
| javauser -p" and I can then connect to the javatest DB and select * from
| the table works fine.
|
| Then I added the following to in the <tomcat>/conf/context.xml file

This is not your problem, but you really shouldn't put your <Resource>
element in <tomcat>/conf/context.xml; instead, you should create an
application-specific context.xml and put it in there. What you are doing
will expose that DataSource to all applications deployed in your container.

| <Context path="/db-servlet" docBase="db-servlet" debug="5"
reloadable="true" crossContext="true">

You should not define docBase in context.xml, ever. Also, I'm not
entirely sure, but I don't think you can set a path in the default
context.xml... it will probably be ignored. Again, these issues aren't
your (current) problem, but you should fix them, anyway.

|    <Resource name="jdbc/TestDB" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"

|                maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
|
|                username="javauser" password="javadude"
driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"

|                url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/javatest"/>
|
| </Context>
|

| And I stop tomcat, and when I restart tomcat I get the following in
the catalina log:

| INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
|
| Feb 23, 2008 8:31:19 AM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
lifecycleEvent

| INFO: Failed shutdown of Apache Portable Runtime
|
| Feb 23, 2008 8:37:40 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer
|
| SEVERE: Catalina.stop:
|
| java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
|
|       at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
|
|       at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:333)
|
|       at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)

|       at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:182)
|
|       at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366)
|
|       at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:520)
|
|       at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:470)
|
|       at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:367)
|
|       at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:180)
|
|       at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stopServer(Catalina.java:395)

|       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
|
|       at
|
|       at
|
|       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
|
|       at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.stopServer(Bootstrap.java:344)