L.S.,

I was wondering if it is possible to write a custom method of
propagating the session ID between HTTP requests. Specifically: we want
to store the session id in a X-ourcompanyname-sessionid header (we use a
custom http client so we can modify that to send the sessionid back in a
header).

The reason for this is that we have to deal with clients that are using
mobile data connections, and mobile phone operators sometimes feel the
need to mess with a clients cookies and sessions as well as doing other
kinds of nasty things in their proxies. Non-standard headers are usually
left alone.

I've been looking at a way to do this but I can't find a solution,
filters seem to be too late in the chain: a request object is already
created and there is no way to even instantiate a session object from a
self-supplied session-id let alone replace the current session object in
the HttpRequest.

Does anyone known if there is a way to write my own handlers for
retrieving and setting the current sessionid and have tomcat use that
instead of looking at the requesturl or cookies ?

Sincerely,
   Tom van Wietmarschen