Neha-

First, I assume you meant to say the WEB-INF/classes directory as that's where the log4j.properties file needs to be placed for a given web app.

Second, you probably don't want to set the rootLogger to DEBUG as any libraries you use could potentially be affected by this and if you've ever used Apache libraries before, their verbose logging is VERY verbose... a better way is to set it to INFO, and then define any package specific loggers ala:

log4j.rootLogger=INFO, cc1

# lock down apache logging to only INFO or higher
log4j.logger.org.apache=INFO

# lock down quartz logging to only INFO or higher
log4j.logger.org.quartz=INFO

# webapp specific loggers
log4j.logger.com.foo.bar=TRACE

Thirdly, I don't see the threshold set anywhere (and I don't know what the default is), ala:
log4j.threshold=ALL

This level basically dictates the lowest level of logging that is to be permitted by ALL loggers so it should be set to the finest level possible.

If none of this helps, pull the log4j.properties file out of your webapp and just write a test java class that uses it and prints out a logging statement at each level. This way you don't have to restart your webapp every time you tweak your properties file to get it working. Use a log4j provided Appender so you don't have to muck with your custom one. If it works right away, w/ no other modifications to the appender definition, then the problem lies within your custom appender.

HTH,

--adam

Neha Agrawal wrote:
Hello
       i have configured log4j for system logging in
Tomcat5.5 .Als othe log is rotating..
Now iwant to configure my individual web-apps using
log4j
i have copied log4j.jar and common-logging.jar and the
Date-File-appender.jar files in the web-apps lib
directory and also created log4j.properties file in
the webapps classes directory..
how do i configure this log4j.properties?
i used the following configuration, but nothing is
being logged by my webapp..

log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG,S
log4j.appender.S=biz.minaret.log4j.DatedFileAppender
log4j.appender.S.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.S.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p
%c - %m%n

log4j.appender.S.Directory=/usr/share/tomcat5.5.25/webapps/sample/logs

log4j.appender.S.Prefix=sample.

# Suffix: The log file name suffix.
log4j.appender.S.Suffix=.log

Is some thing wrong in this?
Thanks
nEha

      Why delete messages? Unlimited storage is just a click away. Go to
http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html