Dear Tomcat Users List

I followed the instructions from Richard Mundell on "Mini HOW-TO:
Tomcat as a service on Windows Server 2003 64-bit edition" (possibly
viewable here: http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=114951978732081&w=2),
but have run into problems.

When I try to start the service from the service panel, Windows
quickly responds with a Service Alert box saying the following:

  Could not start the Apache Tomcat service on Local Computer.  Error
1053:  The service did not respond to the start or control request in
a timely fashion.

I've dug around, but have not been able to figure out why this is happening.

Here are the steps I did to try to get set up:

* I'm running a Windows Server 2003 R2 64-bit AMD machine with 8 G of ram
* I've configured my machine to run a 64-bit JVM
* I've installed the 64 bit version of Tomcat6.exe and Tomcat6w.exe
* I install the Tomcat6 service (and see no errors).  According to the
instructions, it's necessary to swizzle the registry, so I do the
following
  ** I export the registry key
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Apache Software Foundation"
  ** I remove all the "WOW6432Node/" strings
  ** I import the new key, and it looks good, the key has been moved
to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Software Foundation"
* I try to start the service, and get the 1053 error described at top
of this email.

Anyone have any ideas?

THANKS!

PS:  Have you heard any rumors about when better 64-bit service
support might be released?