I've been looking through a lot of tutorials regarding using JNDI for
datasources and ldap authentication and was wondering if someone could
explain things.

Most of what I've come across has authentication completely seperate from
the datasource, or, in the case of JDBCRealms, the user/credentials are
simply stored in the database. However, almost never do people use database
users, even though you can configure connection pools to not have
username/passwords and pass them through the getConnection() method. In the
few cases I've found with database users, they never mention how that
integrates with realms. Are there best practices, technological, or
someother reasons for this? Or am I just doing something very weird?

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd very much appreciate
it!