Found the answer to my question.

The call to request.getRequestDispathcher(String aPath) works as it should.
However, this method represents a kind of 'back door', through which query
params may be added.

Since my wrappER doesn't override this method, it does a call forward to the
'wrappEE'. The wrappEE sees the query params, and saves them, but this info is
not made automatically visible to the wrappER. **The wrappER needs to do extra
work to ensure that such 'extra' query params are also made visible to it.**

Roughly, the wrapper should be something like this :

@Override public String getParameter(String aName){
  //first try wrapper's internal version of the parameter map
  //if not found, try super.getParameter(String), and see if it has any data
for aName
}

That way, when the JSP uses the wrappER, it will see the extra query params in
the usual way.

I have altered the code to reflect the above style, and it now works.

Regards,
John