For some info about the Tomcat support in the Web Tools Platform of Eclipse,
see this FAQ:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Tomcat_FAQ

If you happen to have put your mysql driver jar in shared/lib, then this
question might explain the behavior:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Tomcat_FAQ#Why_are_classes_in_my_Tomcat_installation.27s_shared.2Flib_not_seen_by_my_Web_application.3F

If your mysql server access depends on changes to the server.xml made after the
Eclipse Tomcat server was created, see this question:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Tomcat_FAQ#When_I_create_my_first_Tomcat_server.2C_why_is_a_Servers_project_created_in_my_workspace.3F

If neither of these covers your situation, check the other questions to see if
any might explain what is different between your Tomcat installation and the
Tomcat server in Eclipse.

Cheers,
Larry

P.S. That FAQ page can be fairly slow to come up, perhaps because of its size.
Be patient.