We are using the dbcp capabilities of tomcat and configured the
datasource in the applications context configuration file.  In a few
simple tests we've seen some unexpected behavior and aren't sure if it's
an error on our part.  We are running tomcat 5.5.26 with the
compatibility libraries on java 1.4.2_16.  Also, CentOS 5.1.

Basically, we setup the datasource to have an initialSize=5, maxIdle=10,
minIdle=5.  We made a simple request to the web application and
immediately 5 connections to database were created (as expected).  When
we redeployed the application lambda probe reported zero connections to
the database in that datasource (as expected).  Netstat on the server
reported 5 connections still and tcpdump showed that the validation
queries were still being done across those connections.  The moment we
made the same simple request to the application again 5 new connections
were created and the 5 previous connections were not used at all for the
database queries.  If we follow this same procedure any arbitrary number
of times 5 additional connections are created and the previous 5 are
useless (although still validated with the validationquery).

Is this expected behavior during a redeploy or application restart?  We
are using the connection pooling libraries bundled in tomcat and haven't
loaded any pooling libraries in the application.  Thanks.