> From: Eric Hawkes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Can't start tomcat 5.5.26 service on windows
>
> One note: the Java tab has the "Use default" check box checked, and
> the JVM path says:
> C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_12\bin\client\jvm.dll
> I kind of expected that tomcat5 would use the JDK preferentially.

The "Use default" means to use whatever the Windows registry points to,
which is normally the public JRE.  A Sun JDK installation does not
change this.

> The stderr log says:
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina

That's in server/lib/catalina.jar; you apparently have discovered your
missing parameters.

> I now have the JDK installed, and I changed JAVA_HOME
> JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_12

Note that environment variables are only meaningful to the programs or
scripts that actually look for them; the service itself doesn't use it,
nor does the tomcat5.exe service program.  The service.bat script does
use it, as do the startup.bat and shutdown.bat scripts.

> That's true, but I was expecting java -version to look for
> the JDK, not the JRE because I installed the JDK and I have
> JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_12

JAVA_HOME is not used by the java.exe launcher, which is placed into
C:\WINDOWS\system32 by the installation of a public JRE (included with a
JDK).  If you want "java" to use the launcher in the JDK, you'll need to
put the JDK bin directory in your PATH, prior to the entry for system32.

> Using the following parameters in my install command:
> --Jvm="C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_12\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll"
> --JvmOptions=-server

Take out the -server; that's only used by the standard launcher
(java.exe), not by the service launcher.  The prior line is the
important one.

> C:\tomcat>set
> CATALINA_HOME=C:\tomcat

The above variable need not be set globally; the standard service.bat
and startup.bat scripts set it locally, which is all that's needed.
It's not used at all by the actual service.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.