> From: Stephen Nelson-Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I have a machine with 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5430 @
> 2.66GHz and 8G of RAM.
>
> If I want to make best use of this RAM, should I run this in 64 bit
> (48 bit hack) mode?

Operating system?

> If so are there any gotchas with JDKs, 64 bit Tomcat etc?

Tomcat is pure Java, so runs in a Java Virtual Machine (JVM).  The "virtual"
here is key - the VM isolates Java classes from the machine architecture.  If
there's a Sun JVM available for your OS and architecture, Tomcat should run.
It may or may not run on other JVMs, but avoid the rather idiosyncratic GNU one
- we get fairly regular reports of issues with it.

> Also we use
> some specific libraries - ojdbc14, bfopdf, ojdbc14 for example.  Are
> there 64 bit equivalents of these?

If the libraries are pure Java, the architecture of the underlying system is
irrelevant.

                - Peter