From: Scott Mueller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:32 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Running out of memory too easily in Tomcat 6.0.16

Thank you for the response Chuck.  Like I said, this is a very simple
webapp
(aside from the Spring/Hibernate libraries).  Stores nothing ever in any
sessions and I can't imagine memory leaks with the simple code.  Thank
you
for those links, I guess I should run a profiler to see exactly what's
going
on.  In the meantime, what's the proper way to increase the memory
allocated
to tomcat?  And should I allocate more than my physical ram?  Is there a
general formula for how much ram to allocate to tomcat on a machine
dedicated to only that function?

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Caldarale, Charles R <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > From: Scott Mueller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Running out of memory too easily in Tomcat 6.0.16
> >
> > I have a very small and simple Spring + Hibernate application
>
> Once you throw Spring and Hibernate into the mix, nothing is simple.
>
> > javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
> > PermGen space
>
> Somewhere, you're hanging onto references to objects or classes from
the
> prior deployments.  ThreadLocal usage is a typical way of doing this,
as
> are inappropriate references stored in a Session, but there's no limit
> to programmer's inventiveness in creating memory leaks.
>
> Read the FAQ:
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory
>
> Especially this link from there:

http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/spring/pages/viewpage.action?