John Moore schrieb:
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: John Moore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: Tomcat to Apache connection dies

Ok, I assume you mean the APR connector is the mod_jk.so which is on the Apache side only.. ?

No - the APR connector is a replacement for the pure Java HTTP/AJP ones
on the Tomcat side.
Ok, now I'm confused...

Please be patient, but in all the years past I would compile a connector for mod_jk.so that is placed in the ../apache/modules directory then I would add the following to the server.xml,

Server container

<Listener className="org.apache.jk.config.ApacheConfig"
   modJk="/usr/local/apache/modules/mod_jk.so" />

Host container

<Listener className="org.apache.jk.config.ApacheConfig"
       append="true"
   forwardAll="false"
   modJk="/usr/local/apache/modules/mod_jk.so" />

... and I would be up and running.. (and would touch nothing else..)

So.. given that, what "connector" am I using ??

Thank you for your patience..

We use the term connector on both sides. On the httpd side it's an httpd module, e.g. mod_jk. On the Tomcat side it's one of several choices one can decide on.

What makes the things confusing is, that you can generate a mod_jk configuration by using a Listener configuration on the Tomcat side. This Listener does not mean, that Tomcat uses mod_jk, but it tells Tomcat to generate a configuration for mod_jk. Once you've got a workinbg configuration, you can remove those Listeners. They are not really needed for a working connection between httpd and Tomcat.

On the Tomcat side, there are two different sets of choices for connectors: protocol and implementation. For the protocol you can either chosse http/https if you want to connect directly with the browser or via an http reverse proxy. Or you choose the AJP13 protocol if you want to connect via mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp.

For both protocols, there exist different connector implementations on the Tomcat side:

- Coyote (pure java, default, one thread per connection)
- APR connector, also called tcnative (native, i.e. C based, needs to be compiled additionally, contains support for openssl, able to separate idle connections from threads) - NIO (Tomcat 6) (pure java, also able to separate idle connections from threads, supports Comet)

Regards,

Rainer

httpd/mod_jk