Mark Leone wrote:

Perhaps since I used DIGEST authentication, it was necessary to put the proper name
of the realm in <realm-name>, despite what you said above. I know I had in this
element at first the same realm name I used for generating the digested password in
my datastore; but perhaps I had something else configured wrong when I had the realm
name correct. I'll try again with DIGEST authentication with the proper realm name,
and see if that works.

I think I just proved my theory correct. I changed back to using DIGEST authentication,
and it did not work. But as I reported before, the credentials window identified the
realm name as "Tomcat Manager Application", which you explained earlier comes
from the specified error file, 401.jsp. But since the credentials window thinks this is
the realm name, it's not going to calculate the correct value for the digested password,
which of course includes the eralm name in the calculation.

So I commented out the <error-page> element, the credentials window now displays
"JDBCRealm" as the realm name, and the authentication was successful.

So it seems to me that it is not correct for the realm name to be overriden by the
error page. If the web app developer specifies a value for <realm-name>,
shouldn't that be what e uses to calculate his digested password? If there's some
reason why this behavior is preferable, then perhaps at least the documentation
should indicate that when DIGEST authentication is used, the realm name specified
will be overridden by the error page if one is present.

-Mark