From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:34 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Context Descriptor file not created

> From: Aseem Rastogi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Context Descriptor file not created
>
> I am able to access my application through its URL now BUT
> there is no Context Descriptor created for this.

There is, but it's kept only in memory, not written to disk.  There are
some conditions where the META-INF/context.xml file is copied to
conf/Catalina/[host]/[appname].xml, such as when expanding .war files.

> says that a context descriptor is always created if it
> doesn't already exists.

Again, only internally, not on disk.

> But when I change some JSP and reload using ant task, it
> doesn't reflect.

Watch out for browser caches of the generated page.  Also, depending on
the settings in conf/web.xml and your <Context> element, the changes to
the JSP may or may not result in recompilation and/or reload of the
webapp.

> Also, tomcat seems to have created a local copy of
> all files in its webapps/ directory.

That's normal, when unpackWARs is set to "true" in the <Host> element.
If "false", portions of the .war file will be unpacked into Tomcat's
work directory instead.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.