> From: ahnf [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> We started using Tomcat and Apache back around Tomcat 3.x.
> Tomcat serves everything except small image requests, js and
> css files. (Such as buttons, small banners etc)
>
> Nowadays, in the newer Tomcat 6.x versions, is the extra
> hassle and configuration of having Apache front Tomcat really
> worth it?

If you have additional security configuration on httpd, you may want to keep it
- it may be too much hassle to reconfigure on Tomcat.

If you have complex proxying on httpd, you may want to keep it - it may also be
too much hassle to reconfigure on Tomcat.

If you want to improve response time, you will almost certainly improve
response time for the "everything except" by getting rid of httpd.  You may or
may not improve overall response time - it depends on your exact traffic mix,
Tomcat's thread allocation, OS and Java memory use, and a host of other
variables.  The only way to find out for sure is to profile the app under load!

If you have good admin expertise on both Tomcat and httpd (so you're not scared
about removing httpd because "here be dragons" in Tomcat), and you've profiled
the app and it doesn't degrade, then I'd simplify by taking out httpd.  Then
give that memory to Tomcat or the OS cache, depending on your profiling results.

                - Peter