I want to check tomcat response time for requests when I run, say 500
concurrent users, on the server.  I use the default setttings for tomcat
which means my maxThreads = 40.

I have read from some articles suggesting to use JMX Console to monitor
tomcat.  But, then i read from other articles that JMX adds overhead to the
server.  Basically, I am looking for a way to monitor tomcat performance
under load w/o affecting server performance by running the tools.

Now, i read from an article to use Valves to log the metrics into a log file
and process that later.  My question is: is that the best way to go w/o
purchasing any commercial software?