Hi,

Tom Price schrieb:
Hi,

I run Tomcat 5.5.16 embedded within a Java application, and currently do
not have a file called catalina.properties in the installation.  I would
like to change an option which is normally in that file, so my question
is how do I do that?

I've tried creating a "conf" directory under my main "tomcat" directory
(which is set as the Catalina base and home directories when I launch
the embedded Tomcat) and creating a catalina.properties file in there,
but I don't see any evidence that it's being picked up (e.g. I've set
some invalid options in there and there are no complaints).  What would
be a good way to check whether this file is being picked up?

Alternatively, is there a way to programmatically set the
catalina.properties options in Java when I launch Tomcat?

don't know much about embedded Tomcat, but the catalina.properties parsing code called by the Bootstrap.class looks for it first in the conf sub directory of CATALINA_BASE (you can set CATALINA_BASE programmatically via the system property catalina.base), and if it can't find it there, it tries to load "/org/apache/catalina/startup/catalina.properties", so you could also place the file somewhere in your jars.

Caution: by default there is already a "/org/apache/catalina/startup/catalina.properties" in the Tomcat bootstrap.jar.

If you are using the Embedded.class, I think it doesn't load catalina.properties.

What do you try to set via catalina.properties?

Thanks,
Tom.

Regards,

Rainer