Could you please point me to reading on how to build a web front end for
managing the tomcat-users.xml?

I could of course just read and write it in a perl script as a file but it
seems to me that would be abusing the design. I have tried various XML
parsers in perl and php but can't seem to be able to do something like this:

for a named user verify current password and change it (perhaps based on the
role).

My limitations are that I could not find any other xml file example
structured the way tomcat-users are. I am able to get to all the staff but I
have to keep looping through  and I am certain that there is a way of saying
something like

user/lanny/password = secret