Chris,

Your suggestion worked!  Simply renaming my app to ROOT and getting
rid of the stuff I added to server.xml proved to be a better strategy.

I now have it working as desired with the following context.xml,
deployed with my app in ROOT.war

<Context path="" docBase="ROOT" etc.>
</Context>

(Note: the "etc." refers to the other attributes that are particular
to my app and aren't relevant to this thread).

Thanks!
Alex

Chris wrote:
>In Tomcat 5.5, it is recommended to use context.xml files in WAR files
>(or exploded WAR files in directories) placed directly into the Engine's
>"appBase" directory.

>You should not have to specify any <Context> elements in server.xml.

>If you want to re-name the current ROOT webapp to something else, then
>simply rename the directory to suit your needs. Name your own webapp
>ROOT and you should be good to go (note that case is significant, even
>on case-insensitive file systems like *FAT and NTFS).