Dear List,

How does enabling keep-alives effect the number of threads required by tomcat?

Assuming:
   maxKeepAliveRequest = -1
   1000 online users - each with 2 connections

Does this mean that I will have 2000 threads open - one per connection?
ie: Is the the connection assigned a thread until the connection is closed? Or are the connections only assigned to the thread during the request period?

The only thing I could find related to this was from the Tomcat 6.0 documentation on
http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/http.html

Each incoming request requires a thread for the duration of that request. If more simultaneous requests are received than can be handled by the currently available request processing threads, additional threads will be created up to the configured maximum (the value of the maxThreadsattribute). If still more simultaneous requests are received, they are stacked up inside the server socket created by the Connector, up to the configured maximum (the value of the acceptCount attribute. Any further simultaneous requests will receive "connection refused" errors, until resources are available to process them.

Although there is no mention here of 'connections' - or is this specific to the NIO modification for the tomcat 6 connector?

Thanks for any help,

Regards

Andrew