On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 01:00:54PM +0530, Ch Praveena wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    While going on with Terracotta article,
> -- http://www.terracotta.org/confluence/display/explore/How+Terracotta+Works
> ,
> For implementing application server clustering, I found this phrase,
> "Split-brain problem."..
>
> Please let me know about this in detail..

Easy,

if you have a cluster of 4 nodes, and you have a netsplit, you'll end with
two clusters with two nodes. Split brain problem is that both parts are
equal in size, so how can the software decide, which side is the correct
one and which nodes shall drop dead and restart?

Because of this you may want an uneven number of nodes in your cluster. This
way you cannot have a split'ed cluster with equal numbers of nodes on each
side.

regards,
Marcus