Am running a Tomcat 6.0 server that is distributing a client program using Java WebStart. The client program communicates to the server using an RMI HTTP tunnelling servlet which is running inside the same Tomcat instance. I've had this setup running on three different computers.
On two of them, the performance is pretty good. On our production
system, however, the performance is terrible.

The download of the application is ok, what is bad is a strange pause
in the tunnelling. Using wireshark, I can see that after the WebStart
system has downloaded all of the software, the tunnelling operation
initiates a TCP connection with the three-way handshake but then there
is a 4.5 second delay before the expected POST operation.

The differences between the slow system and the two fast systems are:
1. The slow one has two network cards
2. The slow one is not a Domain Controller, its domain controller
is a Thinpoint Linux machine.

The delay is always very close to 4.5 seconds, so perhaps it is a timeout.
Anyhow, any advice on how to further diagnose the problem would be
much appreciated.