Hi,

I'm looking for a way to have sticky sessions without cookies.
But let me explain our scenario first, maybe there's another approach I
currently can't think of.

We are running a JSF based application on two Tomcat 5.5 servers, both
behind a load balancer with sticky sessions enabled ("crossroads", using
cookies for stickyness). The application requires sessions, so statelessness
is not an option. While the application itself would probably work without
cookies (using URL rewriting) the load balancer can't achieve the session
stickyness without cookies.

Everything works well, but unfortunately there are some users out there who
turn off cookies in their browsers (which results in balancing to the
different backends, and therefore starting a new session - which appears as
a not working application, more or less).

So what other options are there, assuming that upgrading Tomcat to 6.0
and/or using other open source software is possible?
I had a look into Tomcat's clustering and session replication, but the
how-to document states that cookies are required for this, so no advantage
in this regard.
I also checked Terracotta JVM clustering, but the docs recommend to use a
load balancer with sticky sessions, so again no advantage to current setup.

Do you have any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Gunnar