We use JMX to check if all sessions are available on all nodes.

This is some info to do that from ant:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/monitoring.html
It is also very easy to program it from Java.

This has helped us a lot detecting and debugging a session-sync problem a few
weeks ago.

Ronald.

On Thu Apr 17 11:34:53 CEST 2008 Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
wrote:
Li Ma wrote:
>> We setup a Tomcat cluster with 3 nodes running behind Apache with mod_jk
>> module.
>> Everytime we deploy something to the cluster, we would like to make sure
>> every single nodes is working. And from time to time, we would like to test
>> each node to make sure they are healthy too. However, besides of accessing
>> their IP and 8080 port, is there anyway to test against the Apache server
>> directly?
>>
>> For example, is it possible to enter URL like:
>> http://www.myserver.com/mywebapp/test.jsp?JSESSIONID=123456789.tomca1
>> http://www.myserver.com/mywebapp/test.jsp?JSESSIONID=123456789.tomca2
>> http://www.myserver.com/mywebapp/test.jsp?JSESSIONID=123456789.tomca3
>> To reach each one of the nodes?

Close to that:

http://www.myserver.com/mywebapp/test.jsp;jsessionid=123456789.tomca1
http://www.myserver.com/mywebapp/test.jsp;jsessionid=123456789.tomca2
http://www.myserver.com/mywebapp/test.jsp;jsessionid=123456789.tomca3

assuming that tomca1, tomca2 and tomca3 are the jvmRoutes defined in the server.xml of the three nodes.

You can replace 123456789 by an even shorter string, I think even an empty string would work, as long as there is a dot before the jvmRoute.

Regards,

Rainer