> Jonathan Mast wrote:
>
> I know that DB connections are expensive and that developers pool
> connections to prevent the overhead of frequent instantiation.
> Is this design pattern still necessary?  I ask because I vaguely
> recall skimming over an article that stated that this design
> pattern is not needed anymore with newer versions of Java.

I think "skimming" is the key word in the above, leading to
misinterpretation of whatever you were reading.  Connection pooling is
pretty much a necessity in any real-world situation, but it should be
handled by the app server, not individual webapps.

Tomcat DBCP configuration is in the docs:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.h
tml

 - Chuck

P.S. JSPs are servlets, by the way.