That sounds like classic FUD unless the person concerned can back it up.  Who's
trying to pass the buck for a problem?  The vendor or the in-house dev team? :-)

>  Is this true? I was under the impression that since they are
> in their own
> JVM's neither tomcat would have any affect on the other. If
> there are issues in what form may they take place?

They'll compete for resources (notably disk i/o and the overall system cache),
but I'm not aware of any other issues.  I've seen one big production site run
with three load-balanced Tomcats on one (big!) box, simply so that the
organisation could restart one Tomcat instance at a time for upgrades.  I've
not heard of any resulting instability or issues, but the standard disclaimer
applies - it ain't my site, so I may not have heard everything!

                - Peter