Alan, this is very useful, thank you.

After a bit of Googling I decided to upgrade to Tomcat6 (apparently is has
less security ussies with Ubuntu). This means that the files/dirs are now
created (from the tomcat app) by 'root:root' (with the same permissions
described in my first post).

However, I still have the same problem. I'm running a java progam (not as
'root'), and need write access to these files. And I'm not allowed to run my
java app as 'root'.

I'm pretty new to linux, so your help (i.e. command examples) is much
appreciated.

Daniel