This topic comes up on the list very frequently, you ask ten developers this question you may even get eleven opinions. Your answer is it depends on your use case and security requirements (for example: I may not care, in a shopping cart application, if I write a product id in the URL, but I may care about exposing a primary key for a user record in the URL)... these are subject to your implementation.

I suggest you do a little more reading and understand the history of cookies and URL rewriting, which may help you to understand why/why not/when to use them, because this is a highly subjective area, and when do developers agree about technology anyway! Personally though, I am prepared to sacrifice some compatibility in favour of security... on the other hand I also detest the over paranoid.

Peter

mfs wrote:
Guys,

I would want to know the downsides to using cookie-less sessions ? I want to
give my client the freedom to disable cookies on the browser if he chooses
to, but i would want to know the implications to that ?

Some say, exposing your sessionId in the url exposes it to hackers who can
spoof the IP (as of the victim) and provide the jsessionId (in the url) and
can gain control of the victim's session, but if u are using ssl, that
shouldnt be an issue.

Would someone comment on the real hazards/bottlenecks to the cookie-less
approach.

Thanks in advance and Regards,

Farhan.