> From: sur_1805 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> i m using linux(RHEL 5) with 16 GB RAM.

OK.

> Is
> it possible to split the JVM off into multiple processes for
> the hundreds of threads we end up running?

Sort-of, but think: why would you want to?  Modern Linuxes can handle hundreds
of threads per process without worrying.

If you want to do this, you could run multiple JVMs with some kind of
load-balancer in front of them.  Some sites do this for reliability - losing
one JVM doesn't kill the site.  There's another thread on the list at the
moment that shows that some people find it slower, others find it faster.  It
seems to depend on the application.

There is no way of splitting a *single* JVM into multiple processes.

> How much memory i have to allocate to heap memory that is
> sufficient and do
> not become the major performance bottleneck.?

As much as your application needs - and that depends almost entirely on your
app, as I suspect under 1% of the load will be Tomcat's overhead!  Your only
way to find that out is to profile your application, on your hardware, with
your database, under your realistic load.  Nobody on this list will be able to
offer further advice except on profiling tools (we all have our favourites) and
monitoring applications.

                - Peter