> From: HLL [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I have a doubt. How can I determine the optimal number of
> Tomcat servers in
> the same machine to achive the best throughput depending on
> the number of
> cores of the machine? That is, which is the optimal relation
> between number of tomcats and number of cores.

Measure your application, under your expected load, on your hardware.  There is
no other way.

If your application is well optimised and is not waiting on locks, the optimal
number of Tomcats may be 1.  This optimises the cache behaviour of the cores,
as you don't have multiple copies of the same code and data loaded at different
locations and competing for cache lines.  Lock contention, garbage collector
behaviour or many other variables could change that, and make it more optimal
to segment your application.  If your machine is large enough to have a memory
architecture where some processors have faster access to some memory, the
optimal number of Tomcats may be one per memory segment - but this will need a
*lot* of analysis and tuning.

[For future posts to forums: A better English translation may be "question"
rather than "doubt"]

                - Peter