I appreciate any help or guidance you may provide. I am trying to determine if I am trying to solve a solvable problem or should I pursue other methods to overcome the problem. Particulars: Apache/1.3.27 Ben-SSL/1.48 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux mod_jk/1.2.5 mod_perl/1.27
tomcat4_4.1.28-1
Axis 1.1
java version "1.4.2_02"
Linux version 2.4.22  (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)) #1 Wed
Oct 1 14:41:07 EDT 2003

Overview: Sending data to a external service, sometimes the data includes file
attachments. The external service requested we convert from a get file
attachments (sending a url for the file) to a push file attachments process.
The conversion has been working just fine but when we tried to send a file
larger than 4 mb we started getting java.lang.OutOfMemoryError. I increased the
machine specs from 64mb ram 500 mhz pII to a P4 1.3ghz 1gb ram. Error now takes
much less time to manifest itself but still occurs. The error usually occurs
when tomcat is in this statement:

java.lang.Object _resp = _call.invoke(new java.lang.Object[] {pvarSspNumber,
pvarContractNumber, pnumIdrNumber, pvarRevision, pvarUrgency, pvarItemNumber,
pvarDescription, pvarIsPartial, pvarWorkItemParagraph, pvarReportType,
pvarRecommendation, pvarAnswerMandatory, pvarReportAction, pvarResponseReqByDt,
pKtrCertificateNm, pvarBriefTx, pvarKtrMatl, pvarKtrCtLastNm, pvarLocation,
pnumCostProposal, pvarKtrComments, ptypAttachMetaBlob});

Using tcpdump, I have seen that the error occurs before sending any packets to the outside service. I have reviewed the archives and found much talk about sending files with soap messages and how the file size is usually restricted. I have also seen talk of being able to send 20mb files. The outside service confirms they are able to send 9mb files using .net routines. My question is this I guess, is it reasonable to think I should be able to send files larger than 4mb. If it is reasonable, then what can I do to accomplish that. Those that are sending 20mb files, what did you have to do to be able to accomplish the task? Again, I am most appreciative of any assistance in resolving the problem. If anyone on the list would be able to help me have the capability to send larger files but would like to be paid for that assistance, please contact me off list. This is my first post to the list so thanks for you patience and understanding if I fall short of providing the information needed to provide help.
Lyman